Thursday, September 22, 2011

How do I change the battery in my 99 Cadillac STS ?? I lifted up the back seat, but there are "acid hoses"..?

that run through the floor . Its a plastic tube, and I have all these warnings about ACID and stuff....how do I properly take it out.What do I do with these hoses, how do I disconnest them or whatever I need to do ? It's An AC Delco Professional battery if that matters.....How do I change the battery in my 99 Cadillac STS ?? I lifted up the back seat, but there are %26quot;acid hoses%26quot;..?
Don't let all of the warnings scare you. It's not all that dangerous. The plastic tube connects to the vents on the battery so that any gas produces when charging the battery gets vented to the outside and not inside the car. the battery in your car is a lead-acid battery that has lead plates submersed in a sulfuric acid/water electrolyte. This is how the automotive battery has been made for many, many years. When a battery is being charged, as in when the engine is running and the alternator is supplying current back to the battery, a small amount of hydrogen gas is produced. Since the battery is mounted inside the car, you do not want those gases to build up inside so the plastic tube routes the gas outside. It is possible to get a small amount of the acidic electrolyte to come out of the vents where the plastic hose is attached. There are no other special precautions that need to adhered to when removing the battery other than do not tip the battery on it's side or upside down. Always, always, always disconnect the negative battery cable first!! Since all modern automobiles use a 12v negative ground, if you accidentally touch another piece of metal while removing the negative cable, the other piece of metal is grounded since it is part of the car. If you by chance touch the positive terminal to ground with both cables still connected to the battery, you will short out the positive terminal to ground and cause a lot of damage and sparks. I'm not trying to scare you but I must stress the importance of removing the negative battery cable first and not to touch the positive terminal of the battery to ground while both cables are attached to the battery. Simple remove the battery hold down, disconnect the negative then the positive battery cables, remove the plastic tube, and lift the battery out. Place the new battery in, install the hold down, install the plastic tube to the vents, and connect the positive battery cable, then the negative. If you have any other questions or need any more advice, my email option is turned on in my profile.