Wednesday, November 24, 2010

How do I change the battery on a remote key for my 2004 BMW 325i?

My remote to unlock %26amp; lock the door stopped working yesterday. I cannot seem to see how to change the battery or is it way too difficult to open the key to change it. Any ideas other than having to take it to the dealer?How do I change the battery on a remote key for my 2004 BMW 325i?
Believe it or not the key contains a rechargeable battery that charges in the ignition switch while you are driving. If you have not driven the car for a while or make infrequent short trips it mat just need some quality time in the ignition lock. The owners manual advises you to rotate [use different keys] from time to time to keep them charged. User replacement of the battery is not advised by BMW and a replacement is $150.