Wednesday, November 24, 2010

How do I change the battery in a 2002 Audi A4?

I have a 2002 Audi A4. I can see the battery and it seems easy to remove both of the cables. However, there is a plastic bar covering the battery, making the battery difficult or impossible to remove. The plastic bar is connected to the surrounding mount. I cannot figure out how to open this plastic bar. Any ideas?



Thank you.How do I change the battery in a 2002 Audi A4?
Use a 6mm ball end allen wrench... not the one you get in your tool kit but a specialized tool that's quite a bit longer. 8%26quot;+ Check your local hardware store. Of course this is assuming you're talking about the B6 chassis. 2002 is a split year and certain B5 models are designated as year 2002. I think you're talking about the B6 though.



Also note: The batteries in these cars are somewhat oddly shaped... often times the battery you get at your neighborhood auto parts store won't fit underneath the tie-down or even underneath the battery cover. Be sure to measure the new battery and make sure it will fit before you buy it. Don't drive without the battery secured properly with the tie-down. Good luck!How do I change the battery in a 2002 Audi A4?
Regarding 6 mm hex key: the ball end feature was not needed on my 2002 A4 1.8T.



I used an Eklind 54960 %26quot;Metric Cushion Grip T Handle Hex Key Size 6 Millimeters Arm Length 9 Inches Handle%26quot;. Worked handily. Less than $10.00 delivered from a web site, but that site got it shipped from Grainger.

Report Abuse

How do I change the battery in a 2002 Audi A4?
Regarding the %26quot;plastic bar covering the battery%26quot;, this is part of a shield spanning the full width of the car. It is anchored by a press-down strip on the forward edge. Pull up this strip--it comes off completely. The pull the shield itself forward toward the front of the car until it comes out.

Report Abuse

How do I change the battery in a 2002 Audi A4?
You have to unbolt the bar and move it outta the way